ULFA is thrilled to present the CAUT Dedicated Service Award to Rob Sutherland!
Dr. Sutherland has provided, and continues to provide, exceptional service to the University of Lethbridge, the University of Lethbridge Faculty Association, and post-secondary education in general – at both the local and provincial levels. He continues to be a particularly dedicated member that serves our organization and sector with integrity and distinction. As one of ULFA’s Past President’s wrote (Dr. Bryson Brown) “Rob’s academic work speaks for itself, and his commitment to the association and the time he’s given to it, have been absolutely outstanding. He’s a wonderful representative of academic values and accomplishment.” Our current Chief Negotiator/Vice President Dr. Dan O’Donnell stated the following “Rob is a hugely important part of the Bargaining Team and has been absolutely crucial in our last three rounds of negotiations.” At the local level: Dr. Sutherland has been involved with ULFA since the 1990s. More currently, here is a list of the different roles that he’s served within association:
• 2006-2007: Chair, Academic Welfare Committee
• 2008-2009: Vice President, President Nominee
• 2009-2010: Vice President, President Nominee
• 2010-2011: President
• 2011-2012: President
• 2012-2013: Past President
• 2013-2014: Past President
• 2014-2015: Past President
• 2015-2016: Past President
• 2016-2017: Study Leave
• 2018-2019: Chair, Economic Benefits Committee; Member, Negotiating Team; Chair, Essential Services Agreement Negotiating Team
• 2019-2020: Chair, Bargaining Resource Committee; Chair, Essential Services Agreement Negotiating Team
• 2020-2021: Chair, Bargaining Resource Committee; Member, Negotiating Team At the provincial level, the Confederation of Alberta Faculty Association (CAFA) provided the following commentary about Dr. Sutherland’s service contributions:
• Dr. Rob Sutherland served as the CAFA President for three years, 2013, 2014 and 2015. Prior to this he was the Vice-President of the organization from 2010-2012. He continued his service to CAFA with a following two years as past president 2016 and 2017. Prior to his involvement as a CAFA Officer he served as the ULFA representative on CAFA Council from 2008 – 2009. His total CAFA involvement was from 2008 – 2017! Rob was an extremely active CAFA President 2 during his presidency PSE took a huge cut (yes, history does repeat itself) which spurred CAFA to undertake its largest province wide public relations campaign highlighting the importance of Alberta Universities. CAFA took credit for the restoration of $50 million to the PSE budget immediately following our campaign! Rob was named one of the Top 40 Albertans for his work with CAFA promoting Advanced Education. During his time Rob took part in a number of conversations with Dave Taylor a talk radio host in Calgary – Rob engaged Albertan’s and got the attention of many regarding the importance of university research. Rob met with many government officials over his time with CAFA and was always well received and provided them with insight that made a difference. People just seemed to listen to Rob. His thoughtfulness and insights were appreciated at all levels We are so appreciative of Dr. Sutherland’s dedication and commitment over the years to serving his faculty association and would like to see him be formally recognized.
He is truly one of a kind and we are deeply grateful!